Game night this week say the culmination of our four way Dystopian War game. Although after Corries efforts last week it was now down to a three way game with the Brits now being out of the picture. But his efforts had left the remaining Russian ships with quite a lot of damage, and in the Fleet Action rules every point of damage you are carrying removed one successful dice from you success pool. Which proved to be very frustrating this week. The dice gods were playing games with all of us this week with me being last in every initiative roll which meant the other decided to gang up on me but I did manage to pull off some good saving rolls. But this was nothing compared to the numerous six’s Pete rolled to negate most of my shooting. With the remaining ships having so much damage it was a case of picking your targets carefully and I managed take out an already damaged Black Wolf Manticore which gave me enough victory points to win. Although to be fare by the end of the game Pete was the only one with any ships left on table but with nothing left to kill he couldn’t get any more victory points. So a moral victory to Pete but I’m still claiming that his Empire of the Rising Sun hasn’t actually beaten the Russians yet.
On the hobby front I’ve continued to work on my Deathwatch this week and I’ve managed to get the bodies finished. Or at least I think I have. There are that many little details on them that I keep going back and finding little things that I’ve missed.
Next up will be the chapter specific shoulder pads, of which there are eighteen in the box so I’ve primed them all and started work on the ones I’ll use for these guys. I’ve basically just picked the ones I like, and with the exception of the Ultramarine one they are all ones I’ve never painted before.
Then there are the heads which I’ve already made a start on. My plan here is to paint all the different options that come in the box, helmeted and bare so I can swap them out depending on what mood I’m in when I use them.
For the bare heads I’m going to try and do a range of different skin tones to represent the fact that they all come from different chapters. I think it will also be a nice way to add a bit of character to the squad that won’t be immediately obvious.
And that’s it for this week. I’m going to try and get these guys finished off for next week or nearly finished as I still can’t make my mind up about how to base them. I’m also looking to make some progress on my Relics by starting work on the skin tones for the penitents. So have a good weekend and I hope to catch you all again next week.