Weekly Waffle #149

This week with the Adepticon tickets booked my mojo has started to return although I’ve not actually picked up a paint brush for some time, with the exception of the one I use for my MekPack. I have however been working away on the grot bot project which has sort of taken on a life of its own. It’s no longer a simple case of building some new grot bots but has turned into some other weird grot creation. More of a grot bot mark 2, bigger, faster, stronger sort of thing. This hasn’t been a conscious decision but has been more of slow evolution as I’ve been working away on different parts. It’s something of an affliction I have when it comes to scratch building in that I keep on dabbling, thinking to myself I what it would look like if. Then my mind wanders off and I try a host of other things before ending up with something that I think is working. Even if it bears no resemblance to what I started off trying to achieve.

The result has been that I have worked on a few different parts until I got something that I was happy with. That was until I took some pictures ready for this week’s update and now I’m not sure if I like them or not. Or to be more accurate whether I think they are the right parts for this particular project. I sometimes think it’s a curse or something, Mork & Gork pushing me to come with new and hopefully wondrous creations.

First up then we have a couple of small parts that I had originally intended to be knee caps. Nothing much to these, just a piece of tubing with some markings in to try and look like the centre can rotate. This will then allow me to join the thigh to outside of the tube and the lower leg to the inside. Then the whole thing has this bit of shield bolted around it to offer some protection. A few bits of detail and jobs a good one. Only now I’m wondering if they will be big enough.

   

With the knees out of the way I then started to work on the hips which are basically box section that I can attach the top of the thighs to. I did a bit of work to build in some articulation with the tubes attached so that the rest of the leg can slide into place. Again I added a few bits of detail so that things didn’t look to boring. My plan for this will be to add some small pistons into the joints to try and give the impression that the legs could actually move. The will only be very short and won’t be that obvious but it’s one of those little details that will bug me if I don’t at least try and it.

   

This next bit is where things started to go wrong for me. The first couple of bodies I built seem to be very flat and just didn’t look right. So I raided the bits box and mashed a few Ork bits together with some plasticard and came up with this.

   

Now at the time I was really happy with it but the more I look at it the more I think it isn’t really what I’m looking for. I’m not sure what it is but it just seems a bit skinny and two dimensional somehow. It may grow on me as I start to build up the rest of the model adding some exhausts, cabling and armour. But it may also end up in the bits box if I decide to go with something else.

I’ll just have to keep plodding away until I get something I feel happy with my plan being too work on the legs and feet this week. Although I’ve no idea who that will pan out. That’s all I’ve got for this week, hope you have a good weekend and with a fair wind I’ll see you all again next week.

Steve

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *